Self-Esteem is the overall impression you hold of yourself; including how much you value yourself and how you rate your abilities as well as limitations. It is who you believe you are and what you are capable of achieving. It often does not directly linked to with your actual abilities.
If You Have Healthy Self-Esteem, you probably…
- Feel good about yourself
- Are confident and have the courage to change
- Have a positive attitude
- Value yourself
- Feel a sense of belonging
- Feel safe and empowered
- Tackle new challenges easily
- Can step out of your comfort zone when needed
- Believe you can achieve success
- Are able to create a good work/life balance
If You Have Low Self-Esteem, you are probably…
- Often apologetic
- Shy – which can sometimes show itself by being pushy and aggressive
- Avoiding challenges
- Avoiding eye contact
- Feeling low energy
- Underperforming at work and being overlooked for promotions, etc.
- Finding it difficult to ask for help or accept a compliment
- Putting the needs of others first – often neglecting your own needs
- Feeling somewhat dis-empowered and in pain
How to Move from Pain to Power
Low self-esteem can be a significant obstacle that holds a person back from succeeding in all aspects of life. It is painful to not feel good about yourself, focusing on your limitations rather than recognizing and valuing your abilities, skills and natural talents. Raising your self-esteem leads naturally to a place of power.
Your thoughts and beliefs have a huge impact on your self-esteem. The good news is thoughts and beliefs can be influenced. It is possible to learn how to replace negative, dis-empowering thoughts and beliefs with healthier, more realistic ones. You can explore this and other ways to achieve a healthier self-esteem with a life coach — resulting in a more balanced life.